Friday, May 11, 2007

Highlights

Remember when you were little and the greatest thing to get in the mail were those Hightlights for Children magazine? So the other day, I stumbled across one and it brought a smile to my face. I flipped through the pages and as I did twenty years ago, I skipped all the long stories and went straight to the hidden pictures page then to the matchings. Somethings never change. Highlights still have my childhood favorite sections! Yay!

Towards the end of the magazine, there was a picture of a little boy on the computer. "Computer Mice Point and Click" is the title of the article. Since my mind has been filled with elearning lately, I stopped and read the article. It talked about what a computer mouse is, how do you know that a mouse is being moved, how the computer actually counts the number of turns the rod made and how the computer actually know where the pointer is. Amazing! It's great that they're integrating technology related stories into the magazine now. I mean, I didn't even know that optical mouse actually has a camera inside which takes picutres to keep track of the direction and the speed of the mouse. Or how the light beam I see in this mouse I'm using right now is not just there for decoration. In fact, it's there for the computer to count as a detector. Silly to say, but I see my mouse in a whole new "beam". Har har. Ok that was corny.

New discoveries everyday, even a a children's magazine. I love it! Even so, they have a section to teach kids how to make a mouse counter. It breaks apart a real mouse and mimics the parts by the use of straws, paper clip and aper! Simple as that. Wow, I'm amazed. I'm reading this magazine in a different perspective- the adult's eye and I see that there's a lot of substance here. No wonder I turned out the way I did growing up on this magazine! JUST KIDDING.

No comments: